Wednesday, September 11, 2013

HSA Reunion, Introduction

Last weekend I attended the HomeSchool Alumni national reunion. Although I had low expectations going into it, be the end of the week I became convinced that it is an incredibly valuable event for young Christians.

I expected to meet new people whom I would have things in common with. This was my main purpose for going. However, just this year alone I've made so many new friends in the local Christian homeschooled community that I didn't think it was necessary to branch out further, at least for a while.

I expected to sing praises to God with others who enjoy it as much as I do. Again, I can do this with my local friends anyways.

I expected some good lectures and discussions about theology and orthopraxy. But I wasn't sure that people would be able to look past their differences and see why we should discuss our disagreements.

I expected to have fun playing various sports. I already have been playing sports with two different Christian groups every week, plus Church events.

These expectations were not enough to convince me to go, in the end I went because I trusted my friend who is the leader of this organization when he told me I would probably find it worthwhile. And I'm glad I did. I plan to explain how these expectations exceeded in the following posts.

No comments: