Saturday, January 2, 2010

Book review: Private Journal of Henry Francis Brooke

This is one of the many books which I added to my books list to read early last year, but never got around to finishing. Anyways, I finished it over Christmas break, and overall I must say it was a very good book. The first part of the book is written by Brigadier General Brooke about his travels in India, the second part is letters to his wife from various peoples regarding his death. In his journal Brooke talks about the uselessness of sorties outside of the citadel where they are besieged. Also during the siege, he recommended two Lieutenants for the Victoria's cross for carrying a Sepoy* to safety under heavy fire.

Shortly afterward, the journal ends, and the letters tell that he died while trying to carry one of his wounded men back into the citadel.

Earlier in the journal, he writes of his travels through India, Pakistan and Afghanistan, and of the beauties and horrors of that land.

*A Sepoy was a native Indian who fought for a European power.

The book can be read here

The next book on my list is "Three months in the southern States by Arthur James Lyon Fremantle, a character whom many of you will read about in "The killer angels."

I started this book in the summer, and the main thing I remember is that while coming through Mexico and Texas all he ate was Bacon and bread. Unfortunately Texas was as far as I got while trying to read it in the summer, because I got sidetracked by Chesterton.

No comments: